The hackers were already in Conti’s systems prior to August
During the digital coup, cyber attackers stole data from the resource. However, the campaign is said to have started much earlier than Continental previously announced.
Car supplier and tire manufacturer Continental apparently noticed the hacker attack on its IT systems in the summer about four weeks later. As the financial news agency “DPA-AFX” learned from corporate circles on Wednesday, cyber attackers were said to have gained access to data in the Hannover-based company’s network as early as July 4. This was found later when analyzing the data.
Towards the end of August, Conti announced that it had detected and averted an attack on the systems on August 4. In early November, the company admitted that data had been leaked in the process. The Handelsblatt first reported on the beginning of the hack in July. A company spokesperson declined to comment on the information.
The incident is still being analyzed
According to reports, the supervisory board of Dax Group was informed about the status of the investigation on Tuesday. The spokesperson said on Wednesday that analysis of the incident with the help of external specialists is continuing. This also includes whether sensitive information about customers and customer contracts is part of the data that hackers appear to be willing to extract a ransom payment under threat of publication.
The data set is likely to be around 40 terabytes of exploited data. According to reports, Conti’s IT system processes 220 terabytes of data per day. According to the company, the hackers did not encrypt any data on Conti’s servers, which is why day-to-day business was not affected. However, the topic is sensitive for the administration around chairman Nikolai Setzer, because, among other things, details from the contracts may cause customers discontent.