Because of the energy crisis, we currently have some crazy problems Electricity prices More than 40 or 50 cents per kilowatt hour. So it is more important than ever To consume less electricity. It’s easier than you might think: there are many energy consumers in the home that you can put an end to with our tips for saving electricity.
You won’t achieve much with one measure. But if you do all the tips, you can save up to 300 kWh – so around €100 in costs per year. Benefit recipients can receive an additional €300 or more through Caritas vouchers and government grants.
Let’s go to your apartment or house and track the possibility of saving electricity.
Save electricity in the kitchen
- Set the oven to rotate rather than the top and bottom heat. Many recipes then cook at a lower temperature. You can also use several levels in the oven at the same time.
- Do not heat the oven. Unnecessary for almost all dishes and bears fruit, despite the somewhat longer preparation time. Add a few minutes to the time listed in the recipe.
- Every pot needs a lid. This saves a lot of energy when cooking because not much heat escapes.
- A kettle heats water with much less energy than a pot on an electric stove. Never fill in more water than you really need.
- Use the dishwasher’s eco programme. It takes longer, but saves electricity and water.
- Before putting food in the refrigerator or freezing it, let it cool completely. Otherwise, the refrigerator is cooling waste heat that consumes electricity.
- Do not make the refrigerator and freezer too cold. Usually 7 degrees in the refrigerator and 18 degrees below zero in the freezer is enough. Hardware controllers are often not very accurate. It is best to check the temperature with a simple thermometer that you temporarily place in the refrigerator.
- If a thick layer of ice has formed in the freezer or compartment, you must let the appliance melt. It is best to do this in the winter. Then you can temporarily store your supplies on the balcony or terrace in a cool place.
- On some basements, the old freezers rattle on themselves. You probably don’t need them anymore because everything fits in a regular freezer. This would save a lot of electricity and pay off big for your wallet.
Save electricity in the bathroom
- Rotary dryers consume a lot of energy. Especially in the summer, you can easily hang laundry to dry on the balcony or balcony.
- The washing machine must be fully loaded before it can be started. A 30- or 40-degree program is sufficient for light to normal soiling. As for underwear and towels, a program with at least 60 degrees is necessary. To safely kill bacteria, germs, and viruses in your machine, run a 90-degree program every few months.
- If your water is heated by electricity, it needs significantly more energy. An instant water heater is better than a tank of hot water that is always kept at the right temperature. Be careful not to run the faucet too far. The less hot water you need, the better. Also consider the flow limitations of a water-saving faucet or shower head. Both are available at hardware stores and don’t cost much. They blast water with air bubbles, which means less water is less visible.
Save electricity in the living room and study
- A laptop computer uses less power than a classic desktop computer (even if you connect a monitor, mouse, and keyboard). When choosing components, laptop manufacturers pay attention to low power consumption, because the battery should last for a long time while on the go. You can also take advantage of this when plugging the cable into the socket.
- Set the brightness of all screens (laptop, PC, TV, smartphone, tablet) to the lowest, still readable level. This not only saves electricity but is also better for the eyes.
- Use our switchable power strips to power off a whole host of devices at once. Exception: OLED TVs must remain in standby mode and must not be disconnected from the power source. They are automatically subject to maintenance programs when the TV is not in use. Turning off the TV completely may permanently damage it and cause streaks and ghosting.
- Energy-saving lamps were yesterday, and today it is better to rely on modern LED lighting. It uses less electricity. They come in all colors and shapes.
General electricity savings
- When buying new appliances, pay attention to their energy efficiency class. As a general rule, it is not worth saving a few euros on the purchase of a device if the device requires more energy to do so. It is better to buy only devices with the highest efficiency class.
- For homeowners: Check your heating system’s circulation pump. It is responsible for transporting water from the boiler to the radiators. If it’s already a few years old, it’s probably worth replacing it with a modern, high-efficiency pump.
- Summer air conditioning is comfortable. But know that it consumes a lot of electricity. Don’t make it too cold, maybe 24 degrees instead of 22 degrees. You will notice the difference in your electricity bill.
- If you enjoy doing so, measure the energy consumption of individual appliances in your home yourself. In this way, you can track down one or another unexpected energy consumer – and be able to replace it. Simple gauges are available from €10. Or you can borrow a professional device from consumer advice centers.
How much electricity can you save?
The ability to save electricity is individual and depends on many factors: what does your apartment look like: age, size, room design, etc.? How often and how often do you use a particular device? How old are your devices? For a very rough indicator, you can compare your energy consumption to the average.
You can see your consumption in kilowatt-hours on your last annual bill from your electricity supplier. You can see the average energy consumption of German households in our table.
Average energy consumption in Germany 2021
Or set yourself a goal of saving 300 kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year — mathematical, but certainly possible. If you could save 300 kWh of electricity with our electricity saving tips, you would pay €105 less per year (assumed rate: 35 kWh).
Do you have a balcony or terrace facing south, east or west? Then you can reduce your consumption by another 300 to 600 kWh – with the so-called Al-Shorfa power station. At first it costs money to buy: 400 to 800 euros. After about five years, the system will recoup its costs and will then start producing free electricity.
Check out free electricity for people with little money
If your salary is less than the garnishment exemption amount or if you receive unemployment benefit 2, social assistance, housing benefit, child allowance or small pension, you can participate in free benefit Energy saving check Participate in Caritas. You will get one Individual advice To provide electricity and water as well as a 100 euro voucherfor example as support for a new, more efficient refrigerator.
Since recipients of social benefits such as Unemployment Benefit II (“Hartz 4”) are particularly affected by higher energy prices, they receive a one-time payment 200 euros as a special payment From Energy Relief Package Federal government. The job centers will transfer the amount during the month of July at the latest by the beginning of August.
and in September There will then be a fixed energy price of €300 for all employees and the self-employed. Tip if you’re retired: One job this year is also enough to receive energy cost support. For example, you can work in the garden or babysitting for a fee.
You can take that from the article
Anything that generates heat or cold is one of the largest sources of energy consumption in a home. Entertainment electronics and lighting also make up a large portion of electricity consumption. You can save electricity relatively easily with our 20 tips: 300 kWh per year, for example, is an ambitious but realistic goal. Anyone relying on unemployment benefits or social assistance can take advantage of the free electricity savings check.
In addition, prof Electricity tariff comparison And switching to a cheaper electricity provider is worth it. If you want to buy green electricity, we recommend that you use us Leaderboard for green electricity providers.