Whether in the event of a corona quarantine or other unforeseen circumstances such as a power outage or a flood: in order to be prepared in a crisis or an emergency, it makes sense to stock up. Foods with a long shelf life are particularly suitable for this. The date before then preferred on food packaging provides only a rough guide; It can often be exceeded significantly.
Basic equipment: pasta and canned food as emergency supplies
Some staple foods have a shelf life of several years. They include, for example:
- Noodles without eggs and whole grains
- Polished white rice
- Brandy vinegar
- Water in glass bottles
- Canned vegetables, fish, bread and ready-to-eat products
- Pickled vegetables in a jar
- Canned meats such as corned beef or breakfast meats have a long shelf life, but they are usually cured. The treatment is suspected to be carcinogenic. Cooked meat in a jar is healthier.
Before preparing, the products must signs of ruin being examined. These include an unpleasant smell, traces of mold or swollen cans.
Coffee and flour remain interesting for months
Some products may stay for months or even years without spoiling, but the quality will drop. It loses its scent or dries out easily, but is still edible. which includes:
- coffee (vacuum packed)
- white flour (type 405)
- dried spices
- dried fruit
- dried legumes
- cooking oil (unopened)
With many foods, proper storage determines shelf life. A cool, dark, and dry location is usually recommended. Airtight containers such as screw cap jars or plastic boxes protect produce from pests and moisture.
Eggs and some dairy products are kept for several weeks
Fresh products usually cannot be stored for a long time and must be kept in the refrigerator. These include milk, cream, sausage slices, soft cheese or vegetables. The optimum cooling temperature is four to eight degrees. This is how some products reach several weeks:
- UHT milk (unopened)
- eggs (undamaged in the refrigerator, pointing down)
- clarified butter
- 1 piece hard cheese (in the fridge)
- Potatoes (dark, 4-8 degrees, high humidity)