The last sighs of the “Give” dictator Rafael Trujillo Molina

Santo Domingo, d.

It was his last day, and as many have pointed out, this was his habit, At 5:00 in the morning the “Generalissimo” was already standing, Rafael Leonidas Trujillo, To walk, without them knowing, to the edge of a road not seen, but reached by every human being: the death.

It was May 30, 1961 and at 5:30 p.m. that Tuesday, he began knitting the mantle of the historic event that would cover the lifeless body of Trujillo that was intended to shelter the Dominican Republic, which had suffered for three decades in the cold of a One of the most feared dictatorships in Latin America.

Between 9:00 a.m. and 5:15 p.m., the “doer of the people,” as he called himself, carried out his last agenda as governor, which included visits to the San Isidro Air Force Base, lunch at the National PalaceRegular naps and various meetings with officials.

unexpected change

According to testimonials collected by Juan Daniel Balcácer in his book “Trujillo: The Tyrannicide of 1961”On Wednesdays or Thursdays the dictator would go out to his farm in San Cristobal, so one of those two days was what the “conspirators” awaited the execution.

However, during the development of Tuesday’s activities, Trujillo informed his close assistant, Virgilio Alvarez Pina That at night he would move to the Hacienda Fundación, a move the working group had not anticipated and forced it to speed up plans.

Balcacer asserts that “because of this accidental circumstance, at least three of the original members of the working group were unable to participate in the tyrant’s murder.”

The historian also notes in his work that the group on the street was made up of “Nine people will be distributed in three cars.”

As soon as possible, Miguel Angel Pez Diaz phoned Antonio de la Maza, who At 5:30 p.m., set out to gather the “conspirators.” and start the timer that will mark the last hour of Trujillo.

The next two and a half hours are spent with the executioners checking the veracity of the journey and acquiring the weapons with which they will carry out the killing of tyranny.

Regarding weapons, a Hoy newspaper article in 2011 stated that the group on the street was at least equipped 45-caliber pistol, 12-caliber Browning rifle, and three M-1 rifles.

Likewise, the aforementioned media assert that in some of the “unpublished” statements he made to the Attorney General of the Republic, at that time, Salvador Estrella Sadhala, Roberto Pastoriza and Huascar Tejeda., a 45-caliber revolver, a Smith and Wesson .38-caliber revolver and a Luger pistol.

road of no return

Already at 8:00 pm, as the dictator was preparing to leave on his usual course from Estancia Radhamés, but not before he had asked his chauffeur, Zacarías de la Cruz to be ready to depart for Fundación on his return, the conspirators were also ready and even meeting him and diverting their journey towards The road of no return.

on your way out Rafael Leonidas Trujillo visited his mother, Julia Molina, who lived on Máximo Gómez with Mexico, where APEC University is now located, and from there traveled to George Washington Avenue walking from west to east to Obelisk, accompanied by several collaborators.

While, At 8:10 p.m. de la Maza captures Pedro Livio Cedeno From the house of Juan Thomas Diaz who went to visit to ask Shana de Diaz about her husband’s gun.

Later, Cedeño and de la Maza continue their journey in search of other members of the expedition and Huáscar Tejeda waits for Roberto Pastorizza to arrive at his residence and then goes to George Washington Street to Meeting with Salvador Estrella Sadhala, Antonio Imbert and Amado García Guerrero.

At 8:25 at night the conspirators were already on the highway With the spread of weapons and distributed in three cars.

De la Maza, Imbert, Estrella Sadhalá and García Guerrero shared a Chevrolet Which was parked in front of Coney Island at the fair and after three kilometers it was so Tegeda and Sdeneo in an Oldsmobile, While Pastorizza waited on Mercury.

And although Trujillo had indicated that after his walk he would leave for the farm, on the contrary, after 9:15, He decided to visit the base again, “aviación”, as well as his daughter Angelita.

After the end of the long walk, Miguel Angel Díaz, who accompanied the “President” on his tour, met with his cousin Juan Thomas Díaz, the latter, accompanied by his brother Modesto Díaz and Luis Amiyama Teo, to the house of his daughter establishing the “Operation Center” and waiting for the result.

Given the sudden actions of the “Generalissimo” who delayed the event and hastened the impatience of those who had been waiting for an hour, Baez Diaz seemed to calm the anxiety of his teammates He assured them that there was little left.

crucial hour

You miss from 10 minutes until 10:00 at night, “El Chivo” got into his Chevrolet Bel Air, and upon passing the Agua y Luz Theatre, the car was spotted by the top four of the action group visiting for frivolous conversation on the boardwalk.

The car passed right in front of them The persecution began with de la Maza, Imbert, Estrella Sadhala and García Guerrero Which didn’t take long to get to Trujillo.

With the shooting from Antonio de la Maza, at about 10:00 in the evening, the confrontation began and the micro-projectile hit the body of the so-called “national actor”.

Zacarías, the dictator’s driver, responded to the conspirators and for about 10 minutes a section of George Washington became the scene of a historic event Forged under a hail of bullets Accompanied by a noise that announced the departure of each projectile.

in At 10:10 p.m. on Tuesday, May 30, 1961, “The President” was already dead.

Leave a Comment